The term “running gear” refers to a boat’s propellers, shafts, struts, trim tabs, intakes (through-hulls), intake covers, transducers, knotmeter, keel coolers (when applicable), grounding plates, and line cutters.
With just a few barnacles on your boat’s running gear you might experience symptoms such as:
- vibration when the boat is in gear
- black smoke coming from your exhaust
- loss of RPMs
- increased fuel consumption
- “prop walk” or an inability to control the direction of your boats movement even when in gear
- speed log failure
- depth-finder failure
- lack of ability to draw water through your intakes
If these symptoms are ignored, or if a boats is run with heavy barnacle growth on the running gear, it could result in much more serious problems such as:
- warped shaft
- damaged cutless bearing
- overheated engine
- nonfunctioning AC unit
At Aloha Diving we don’t just scrape propellers, we clean your boat’s running gear in an effort to restore your boat to its peak performance ability. We pay attention to the details, such as cleaning the cutless bearing water ports to keep your cutless running smooth and cool.